Friday, November 18, 2005

I'm sort of stalled

I've found that a few ppl have had problems getting/staying in touch with their partners. I heard from one person who let her partner know she's sent off the package, and has heard nothing back in over 2 wks.

I was thinking that that is so tacky, to let someone send you a gift, then drop off the face of the earth. Then I realized that some ppl have great difficulty facing up to problems, and prefer to bury their heads. It's an embarassment issue, I think.

I, for instance, am having a lot of trouble getting my project done. I got about half way, then stalled. My depression came back with a vengeance, and I was unhappy with what I was creating, but everyone else told me it was beautiful, and I'd put so much work into it already, I just didn't know what to do.

I now had a couple of choices. I could keep my mouth shut, pretend everything was hunky dory, let my partner continue on, etc.. Or, I could write Andy, let her know what was happening, that her gift probably, despite the early start, wouldn't be ready for official holiday gift time.

I'm proud to say that I chose the second course, but I can understand how someone might be too embarassed to do so. Unfortunately, it catches up with you, eventually - the avoidance, I mean.

So, I wrote to Andy, and she responded as I'd suspected she would - that the timing wasn't important, that it was the thought that counted, etc. She even went on to say that if I was totally paralyzed, the item she was making for me would suit her daughter.

Well, of course I told her no way, that gifty was mine, all mine! I was stalled, not stopped, and, if getting it before the end of Dec. wasn't an issue, I should be OK. Eventually, Andy and I will exchange our gifts, and I'm really looking forward to it. In the meanwhile, I've eased up the pressure on myself and am feeling much less stressed by the whole thing. Although, I do recognice the irony of the organizer being one of the ppl having trouble following through!

3 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

I have been having this same thought. I have heard very little from my partner, even though I see her posting on KR. I am not sure what to do. I know she is really busy with her job. I am almost finished with the gift and I am thinking I will let her make the next move to contact me and exchange addresses. If she doesn't, then I will keep the gift for myself.

20/11/05 6:09 AM  
Blogger Sweazey said...

Little hints are so appetizing, Barbara! I am really looking forward to seeing your gift-elf project and it will be mine, mine all mine, too!
I just hope my gift for you is pleasing for you, too! We are just heaping anticipation on this, aren't we? And we will probably be waiting longer, but I remember waiting for something we sent away for and being at the mailbox when the mailman got there every day...and it just got more and more and more tantalizing! Not to say procrastinate!! No, no, no! I didn't mean that! Just that it gets tasty thinking about what fun it will be!

22/11/05 3:52 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Funny thing...two days after posting my comment about not hearing from my gift elf, she e mailed me...maybe she has been lurking and reading along??

But I was glad to hear from her and we exchanged addresses! YEAH

23/11/05 5:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home